Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How soon we forget...

So there they are. The boys. In this pic Noel is very sort of Cian-esque. It's the eyes. And the roundness. Hard to believe Noel is nearly 4 months old. It's amazing the stuff your brain flushes when it determines knowledge to be no longer relevant. Like right now we are in a stage with Noel where he hates his bottle and is obsessively trying to turn over and getting very frustrated. Now I know I've seen this before but I'll be damned with who and how long it lasts etc. At first it's like... what is he doing? Why is he so cranky? Is something wrong with him? Then it starts to set in, the feeling of deja vu. Anyhow Noel remains completely charming and sweet. I really think he is going to be our eater. Cian never really got the chance to enjoy food and Paudie has hated food since the start. He has said that to us on several occasions lately. "I don't like food." But Noel seems pretty interested in what we are eating so fingers crossed we get to experience a child who happily eats.

The potty training with Paudie is going so-so. Good god what a pain in the arse it is. He actually does better with it at daycare than he does at home. He does on occasion respond to our bribing, but he has yet to really show initiative to go to the bathroom on his own. He is only 7 weeks shy of turning 3 so I hope it clicks soon because he already looks older than he is and I don't want people to think I have a 5 year old in diapers. Which I think they do anyways. The check-out woman at Trader Joes asked him how old he was and he said 5 and she bought it. Not because he thinks he is but because he can't count.

I am sitting here typing feeling that my eyes could close any minute even though I am getting a pretty solid 7-8 hours of sleep most nights. I wonder if sleep deprivation just hangs around as you get older? Or if being tired all the time is from getting older? I guess I just have to accept I will be tired every second of every day from here on out - comes with the parenting territory. Jaysus I miss sleeping in. I am so glad that I used to sleep till like 2:00 when I could. Who would have thought 6:00 could be the new 2:00?

So John is home with Noel. Just read an article in Parent's about how something like 25% of dads stay home with the kids now. Look at us, part of a trend. Meanwhile I am back at work trying to be productive. And wishing I head a treadmill desk. I have 8 lbs to lose. I know, not a lot, but my body refuses to relinquish it. I wake up starving every day, have a 400 calorie salad for lunch and carrots as a snack and nada. Booo. I am trying to fit in walking when I can but I know what I need is some real aerobic exercise. And I know if you burn energy it makes more energy but tell my lazy bottom that.

No comments: